After all the sweet desserts and treats of the Valentine’s week, here comes all rich and fatty week of Mardi Gras. I’m sure you too have been thinking what possible alternatives to cook for a less fatty Mardi Gras Tuesday.
Try these tips from the Chefwannabee:
1. Take Baked Tostitos Scoops instead of Frito Scoops and get 80 percent less fat — and double the fiber — per serving.
2. Use plain nonfat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream for your favorite dips and you’ll save nearly 200 calories — and get triple the protein — per 1/2 cup serving.
3. Trade your Wheat Thins or pita chips (yes, even the “simply naked” and “multigrain” pita chips contain more refined flour than anything else) for All Bran crackers and you’ll get an extra 3 to 4 grams of fiber per serving.
4. Lighten up chili by using 95 percent lean ground beef instead of ground chuck and you’ll cut nearly a third of the calories and half the saturated fat. Add beans and get about 10 grams of fiber per cup — about one-third of the recommended daily intake.
5. Serve low-fat turkey dogs on light wheat buns and save 180 calories and 15 grams of fat, each.
6. Reach for Bud Select 55 beer instead of Michelob Ultra (or any light beer) and save 120 calories for every three beers.
7. Take the skin off of fried chicken to shave more than half the calories and nearly all of the fat.
8. Go for the seafood gumbo (sans the rice) and skip the jambalaya to save as much as 200 calories and 20-plus grams of carbohydrate per cup.
9. Trade up to chicken sausage instead of pork to slash more than half the calories and as much as 85 percent of the fat. It’s available at most grocery stores.
10. Nix the 20-ounce frozen daiquiri and opt for a beer (light or regular), a glass of wine or a cocktail made with a no-sugar mixer (water, diet soft drink, club soda), and you’ll save no less than 800 sugary calories.
Hope that helps! 🙂